Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama Bin Gotten

The US media is currently doing backflips over the killing of Osama Bin Laden. While ordinarily opposed to state sanctioned murder, Osama was on my "Yeah, but" shortlist for reasonable exceptions to that policy. However vulnerable and isolated he may have been, a world without OBL is a better world by almost any definition.

Like a baseball manager, the president of the United States gets too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when they do not. I was watching standup comedy last night when the news broke, which came to me via a alert from the Huffington Post that the President was about to address the nation. I knew this had to be pretty big- the only news I can remember breaking on a weekend like that was Princess Diana's death and Saddam Hussein's capture. The only news big enough that I could think of was the capture or death of Bin Laden, which, of course, it was. Right wing partisans are trying to minimize the impact, of course, lest any credit accrue to Obama, and left wingers are striving to paint anyone not doing handsprings at the news as un-American.

It strikes me that this could have, and should have, happened much sooner. And it would have if we had not diverted assets away to attack Iraq.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other Beauty Guest Post blogs that go over the same topics? Thanks a ton!


    ReplyDelete